The best cookies are the ones that are soft, crumbly, and gooey with just the slightest bit of a crisp when you bite into them. And that’s exactly what this recipe is. I love playing around with making cookies, and these are my personal favourite of the ones I’ve made so far. They’re so chocolatey that it’s hard to believe they’re lactose free.
Mmmm, soft gooey chocolatey goodness. I don’t even have more to say about them. The taste speaks for itself. Here’s how to make these little circles of heaven.
- 180g butter/margarine (I use Nuttlex Buttery ’cause it contains no lactose/dairy)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 200g dark chocolate chips, or chopped dark chocolate, or whatever else you’d like
NOTE: If you’re wanting to make it lactose free, just check the packets of the dark chocolate options at your local store… good stuff IS totally dairy-free, but some of the less-good stuff is not.
- Line 2-3 baking trays and preheat your oven to 180°C (or 355°F)
- Melt the butter or margarine in a microwave-proof bowl
- Add the sugar and beat with a mixer until smooth and relatively creamy
- Add the egg and beat it in too
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder
- Add your choice of chocolate and combine with the wooden spoon
- Unlike most cookie recipes, this one SHOULD be fairly gooey. However, you should be able to pick it up with your hands and shape it roughly without much coming off on your hands. If you can’t do that, add more flour in SMALL batches until you can pick it up.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of mixture and shape them into a rough ball. Place it on your lined baking tray and flatten it gently with your fingers.
- Repeat until you run out of dough. Make sure you leave a good gap between the cookies as they spread a lot during cooking.
- Pop into the oven and bake for around 12 minutes.
- When they’re done, let them totally cool. They’re so soft that they’ll fall apart if you pick them up while they’re hot!
- Once they’re cool, EAT THEM. They’re so soft and gooey. Just look at this!!
I hope you enjoy making and eating these cookies as much as I do. But really, they’re sooo good. If you have any feedback or favourite cookie recipes of your own, leave a comment for me to check out 🙂